Town Hall - 600 Higginson Street, Hawkesbury ON K6A 1H1 Telephone: (613) 632-0106 Business Hours: 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Group 1 Tab
History of the CIP Pulp and Paper Mill Plant
By 1822, twenty-two mills were in operation in the Hawkesbury area using the Ottawa River as a transportation corridor. Following the square timber era of the early 1850's, vast quantities of sawn lumber from the Ottawa valley were sold to the north eastern states to build the great cities of Chicago, New York and Boston. The development and sales of lumber during that period, served as the economic engine for all of Canada.
History of the lagoon
With the construction of the Carillon Dam in 1965, waste from the mill was no longer permitted to be discharged into the Ottawa River. As CIP was one of the largest employers in the area, many solutions to the problem were explored. An adjacent parcel of crown land was deemed suitable for the disposal of waste cellulose fibres into a newly constructed "Wet Lagoon". Tenure for use of the property was provided by a License of Occupation, administered by the Ministry of Natural Resources.
Demolition in 1984-85
In the mid 1980's, the CIP mill was closed and the buildings demolished. A Certificate of Approval was issued by the Ministry of Environment for the use of part of the Wet Lagoon as a landfill for some of the inert demolition materials. The License of Occupation was surrendered at that time but no provision had been made to force CIP to restore the site.
Letters from the Town of Hawkesbury