Town Hall - 600 Higginson Street, Hawkesbury ON K6A 1H1 Telephone: (613) 632-0106 Business Hours: 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Group 1 Tab
It was in 1959 that the Municipal Council passed a by-law adopting the new Coat of Arms as designed by the Canadian College of Armorial Bearings in 1957. In drawing up the new armorial bearings for Hawkesbury, the College wanted to keep everything that could be kept from the old town shield without encroaching on the heraldic laws. Furthermore, other symbols referring to the history of the town were inserted in the armorial bearings.
One of the symbols that appeared on the old Hawkesbury shield was a wheel, representing industry and work. This symbol is retained in the new armorial bearings.
The "barrulet", which is the horizontal bar dividing the shield in two and adorned by a "saltire cross", is taken from the armorial bearings of the Jenkinson family in memory of the first Baron of Hawkesbury. The "saltire cross" (croix pattée) also recalls the memory of Dr. David Pattee, who was a pioneer in the launching of Hawkesbury's fledgling economy.
The sheaf of wheat, emblem of agriculture, which used to be part of the seal of Hawkesbury is still present in the new armorial bearings.
The hawk is represented in the armorial bearings in order to identify the town's name "Hawkesbury".
The device "Vaillant et Veillant" (Valiant and Vigilant) has two meanings; firstly, recalling that through work Hawkesbury grew, and secondly, referring to the hawk, a brave bird which was formerly used for hunting and never missing its prey : its vigilance was no less than its valour.
The citizens of Hawkesbury, are proud of their coat of arms which is very representative of their history.