The Town has a policy for the use of its coat of arms, logo and signature. Unless a special authorization is granted, their use is prohibited.

You may consult the Policy on the use of coat of arms, logo and signature in the subsection “Policies”.

To obtain an authorization, please contact the Mayor’s office at (613) 632-0106 extension 2223.

Coat of Arms

armoirie

It was in 1959 that the Municipal Council passed a by-law adopting the new Coat of Arms as designed by the Canadian College of Armorial Bearings in 1957. In drawing up the new armorial bearings for Hawkesbury, the College wanted to keep everything that could be kept from the old town shield without encroaching on the heraldic laws. Furthermore, other symbols referring to the history of the Town were inserted in the armorial bearings.

One of the symbols that appeared on the old Hawkesbury shield was a wheel, representing industry and work. This symbol is retained in the new armorial bearings.

The "barrulet", which is the horizontal bar dividing the shield in two and adorned by a "saltire cross", is taken from the armorial bearings of the Jenkinson family in memory of the first Baron of Hawkesbury. The "saltire cross", in French called “croix pattée” also recalls the memory of Dr. David Pattee, who was a pioneer in the launching of Hawkesbury's fledgling economy.

The sheaf of wheat, emblem of agriculture, which used to be part of the seal of Hawkesbury is still present in the new armorial bearings.

The hawk is represented in the armorial bearings in order to identify the Town's name "Hawkesbury".

The device "Valiant and Vigilant” has two meanings; firstly, recalling that through work Hawkesbury grew, and secondly, referring to the hawk, a brave bird which was formerly used for hunting and never missing its prey: its vigilance was no less than its valour.

The citizens of Hawkesbury, are proud of their coat of arms which is very representative of their history.

Logo

logo

The 150th anniversary celebrations of the Town of Hawkesbury, held on November 19, 1858, were an excellent opportunity to modernize its corporate image.

The coat of arms, dating from 1957, relates the history of the Town and will remain an important symbol. A modern logo reflects the present and the importance of the future for the community.

The two colours of the logo, blue and green, represent water and land.

The dynamic shape of the "H" illustrates growth and points towards the future. It also represents a road, a symbol of the Town's path through time. The green bars on each side represent the provinces of Ontario and Québec linked by the bridge.

The "H" also symbolizes a building between two green bars representing a growing town located in the middle of a rural area. These two bars also represent the support the Town wants to offer to its citizens.

The "H" which can stand on its own, represents all the different roads leading to Hawkesbury.

The chosen typography is very simple allowing it to be visually appealing and easily recognizable. The reflection represents the water of the Ottawa River and the image the town wants to reflect from now on.

The new corporate image will be a useful tool in promoting the Town beyond its frontiers.

Please consult the “Policies” section to get the rules for using the Town’s coat of arms, logo and signature.

0
0
0
s2sdefault