Main content

Alert message

 FAQ environnement en

In order to help our citizens, we've created a list of frequently asked questions. In case you cannot find your answer, here is a list of contacts to whom you can make your request: 

  • For questions regarding leaks, interruptions, pressure, taste, odour or colour of drinking water, please contact the Environmental Service by e-mail at .
  • For questions related to water and sewer bills, please contact the Finance Service by e-mail at .

Frequently asked questions related to drinking water:

What are the pink or black spots in the bath or toilet bowl?

This is a common problem resulting from the growth of bacteria on moist surfaces, which are commonly present in our environment. We can find them in the hot water tank, in the air and in the dust of our residences. Their proliferation is reflected by the gradual appearance of a pinkish, orange or black film on surfaces that are warm and moist, such as showerheads, toilet bowls, shower curtains and bath contours. These bacteria are not present in our municipal tap water.

The best way to keep these surfaces free from the bacterial film is by regularly cleaning with a bleach-based cleanser. A bathroom fan can also help to reduce the moist environment in bathrooms.

Why is my water pressure low or why does it fluctuate during use?

There could be a few reasons for this. This could be caused by a leak on your service line or due to the state of your plumbing pipes. It can also be caused by water distribution maintenance activities such as fire hydrants maintenance, leak repairs and distribution system flushing operations.

Why does my tap water smell and/or tastes like chlorine?

Chlorine is used to disinfect and maintain good water quality. If the smell is too strong, place the water in a pitcher and let stand in the refrigerator before consuming.

Why does my tap water have a whitish colour?

This coloration of water is usually caused by the presence of small air bubbles trapped in the water. This is a normal phenomenon which occurs frequently when the water temperature changes (ex. change of season) and does not represent any risk to your health.

Why does my tap water have a rusty colour?

This coloration of the water can be caused by the use of a nearby fire hydrant, the unidirectional flushing, a water main break, or even when the water is reopened following works. Let the cold water run and it will become clear again. Note that this discolouration does not represent any risk for your health. 

Who do I contact to have the water turned off or turned on?

These requests must be made at least 48 hours in advance. Please call 613 678-9269 or send an e-mail to .

What is unidirectional flushing?

The unidirectional flushing that is performed once a year is intended to dislodge deposits in the watermains walls as well as to ensure the quality of drinking water. To do this, we force the water in one direction and then we evacuate it through fire hydrants. At the same time, we check the quality of infrastructure, such as street valves and fire hydrants.

Because this is a large operation, there may be a temporary drop in water pressure, with or without a reddish (rust) coloration of the water in the areas affected by the flushing. Please note that this discolouration does not pose any risk to your health.

Can I purchase bulk water?

Tankers wishing to get bulk water may fill directly at the drinking water plant. This request must be made at least 24 hours in advance at 613 678-9269 or by e-mail to . Payment must be made prior to the Finance Department or shall be given to the operator present at the plant.

Some tips to follow:

  • Always check the colour of the water before use. If the water is coloured, leave the cold-water taps running until the water returns clear. This should take about one minute.
  • If possible, do your laundry in the evening or on the weekends during this time.

Frequently asked questions related to wastewater:

Who do I contact if I have sewer backflow problems?

Please contact the Public Works Service by e-mail at . For emergencies after 4:00 p.m., contact the Fire Service dispatcher at 613 632-1105.

Why is my sewer bill combined with my water consumption?

All properties in the Town are connected to a water meter and the cost for water and sewer services are charged on a combination of fixed fees and consumption. For more information, you can consult the rates for water and sewer service by-law on the Town’s website.

Does the wastewater treatment facility accept RV waste?

No, the wastewater treatment plant does not accept RV waste.