Main content

Alert message


The Planning Department is the first stop to make when you want to settle in Hawkesbury, whether it's to live or to start a new business.

The town planning department will assist you by answering your questions about the properties where you wish to settle, in order to ensure that the area you have chosen allows for the desired use. This service will tell you about all the procedures to follow to complete your project.

Furthermore, the Town’s Planning Department oversees that all property uses and activities are in conformance with the provisions of the Zoning By-law. Where there would be situations that violate said By-law and there would be a nuisance in a particular area, the Planning Department will notify the property owners.

The Planning Department works in collaboration with the Building and Inspection Department to approve the site plan that accompanies the building permit application. The objective as mentioned above is to confirm that the proposed project meets the Zoning By-law’s provisions.

We consult the Planner:

  1. To obtain a certificate of property compliance (some fees may apply);
  2. To find out whether the use or the construction project complies with the zoning;
  3. For a land division (please contact the UCPR);
  4. For a request for a Zoning By-law minor variance;
  5. For a Zoning and/or Official Plan amendment application.


The Official Plan and Zoning By-law


The Official Plan and Zoning By-law guide development within the community. The Town is the approval authority for applications for building permit; demolition permit; site plan; minor variance to the Zoning By-law; Zoning By-law Amendment and excavation permits. The Town also provides comments to the United Counties of Prescott and Russell (UCPR) on applications for lot severance and plans of subdivision as the County is the approval authority. Applications to amend the Official Plan are filed with the Town. If approved, an amendment to the Official Plan also requires approval by the UCPR.

Planning applications are filed with the Planner. Applications for building and demolition permits are filed with the Chief Building Official and applications for connections to municipal water, sanitary sewer and entranceway for access onto Town roads permits are filed with the Public Roads Superintendent. Applications for plans of subdivision and for consent must meet the requirements of Section 51(24) of the Planning Act. Plans of condominium must meet the requirements of the Condominium Act.

Applications for minor variance must meet all four of the following tests:

  • Is the application minor in nature?
  • Is the application desirable for the development of the site?
  • Does the application conform to the general intent of the Zoning By-law?
  • Does the application conform to the general intent of the Official Plan?